Boredom Breeds...Overzealousness???
While I've been searching for my new job I find that I've had lots and lots of downtime. While this has been relaxing, it's also made me rather bored...and it turns out that a bored Mr. G is not a good thing. These days when I get bored I tend to plan elaborate menus and cook large meals for my parents and siblings. A couple of days ago my boredom must have hit a peak because I got a little overzealous in my menu selection.I decided to make a Mediterranean meal, focusing mostly on food from Greece with one side dish from Spain. It turns out that this menu almost kicked my butt. I started with Stuffed Grape Leaves with Yogurt Sauce, the main course was Chicken Breasts stuffed with Goat Cheese and Basil, the side dishes were Wrinkled Potatoes with Mojo and Red Bell Peppers stuffed with Halloumi (a cheese made of Sheep and Goat Milks), desert was store bought Baklava (I may be overzealous, but I know I can't bake). I know...it sounds great, and it was delicious (even if I say so myself), but it was a TON of work.
When I mentioned the above menu to a Friend, I was asked for a couple of the recipes, so I decided to post them all...it's that overzealousness again.
STUFFED GRAPE LEAVES
8 oz bottle grape leaves in brine
generous 1/4 cup arborio rice (short grain high starch rice)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 small onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1/3 cup pine nuts chopped
1/3 cup currants (raisins will substitute, but the currants have better flavor in this dish)
3 scallions finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh mint chopped
1 Tbsp fresh dill chopped
2 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
juice of 1 large lemon
2/3 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
In a VERY large bowl, flatten the grape leaves - pour enough boiling water over them to cover and let soak for 20 minutes. Drain and cover with cold water for another 20 minutes.
While leaves are soaking, put rice and pinch of salt into pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes (until soft). Dump into a bowl and set aside.
Heat 2 Tbsp of EVOO in pan add onion and garlic and cook for 5-10 minutes, until onions become soft. Add onion and garlic to rice. Also add pine nuts, currants, scallions, mint, dill and parsley. Mix together well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Put several grape leaves in the bottom and up the sides of a large (coverable) casserole dish. Then place 1 grape leaf vein side up on cutting board. Place a small amount of rice mixture towards bottom of leaf, then fold up bottom end of leaf. Fold in both sides then roll up the leaf around the filling. The tighter you can roll these the better they will fit in the casserole dish to finish cooking. As you roll each grape leaf, place it in the casserole dish - one layer deep, packing them as close together as you can.
Mix the remaining EVOO, lemon juice and water - pour into casserole dish over grape leaves. Put a plate over the grape leaves to hold them down and cover the casserole dish. Place on stove-top and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with Yogurt Sauce and lemon wedges.
YOGURT SAUCE FOR GRAPE LEAVES
Plain yogurt
zest of lemon used for juice in grape leaf recipe
Push yogurt through tight mesh strainer into serving bowl (this gives it a lighter texture) and top with lemon zest.
WARNING!!!! The above takes longer to make than it did to type and/or read.
WRINKLED POTATOES
2 1/2 ounces Kosher Salt (use Sea Salt if you don't want to buy the Kosher Salt, but the taste is different)
24 small red skinned new potatoes
Put about 1 inch of water in a large pot and stir in all the salt. Add all the potatoes (whole) and stir again. The potatoes do not need to be covered by the water (they probably won't be). Fold a clean dish towel over the top of the potatoes in the pot. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender but still holding together.
Dump the entire pot into a colander to strain then return the potatoes to the pot. When the towel is cool enough to handle, wring the salt water out over the potatoes in the pot. Put the pot over a low heat until the water is evaporated, shaking occasionally to keep potatoes from sticking. Remove from heat.
Let potatoes cool to room temperature and slice in half. Serve with Mojo.
MOJO
(Confession...I live near several really wonderful 'ethnic' grocery stores and I was able to purchase a bottle of pre-made mojo, so I don't know how this tastes, but the ingredients look good, so...)
1 1/2 ounces day old bread (crust removed) - torn into pieces
2 large cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground cumin
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
6 Tbsp EVOO
2 pieces preserved red bell pepper, drained
Put bread pieces in bowl and just cover with water to soften. Set aside for 5 minutes. Use hands to squeeze water out of bread. Set aside.
Crush garlic and salt into a paste and add to food processor (a blender will work too), add paprika, cumin and vinegar and blend. Add bread and half the EVOO and blend again.
With motor running, add pepper pieces and remaining oil. When completely smooth and blended, transfer to bowl for serving.
This sauce can be served directly over the potatoes or used as a dipping sauce, I liked the option of using it as a dipping sauce because I could vary how much I wanted on the potatoes.
Wow...I just realized how long this was....I'm going to break this up into 2 posts...the other 2 dishes will be for tomorrow. Until then, I hope you're enjoying the view before you...I may be bored, but I am definitely enjoying my view.


