My New View: <b>Old People Are Funny.</b>

Friday, January 19, 2007

Old People Are Funny.

This morning I decided that I would treat myself to Starbucks. Normally I don't spend money there...the tree-hugging hippie atmosphere makes me gag a bit...but they do make really good hot chocolate so every once in a while I treat myself.

I walked in and took one look at the person behind the counter and could almost visualize that they were wearing a sign around their neck that said "Hi, I'm stupid. Big words scare me. Please speak slowly." If I didn't want that hot chocolate so badly I would have walked out. Instead, I waited my turn and when I heard the overly perky "Hi, welcome to Starbucks can I help you?", I told her "OK, I only want to say this once, so listen carefully...Venti Hot Chocolate, Extra Chocolate and a Shot of Espresso."

I got a blank look followed by "What?"

"Venti Hot Chocolate..." I paused to see that she got that...she even repeated it for me..."Extra Chocolate..." when she repeated that I continued..."and a shot of Espresso." to which she replied "Oh. That will be $3.85." I started to worry that I wasn't going to get what I wanted. The person making the drinks then asked me if it was just one shot and if double the chocolate was enough. I told him (at least I hope it was a guy with that kind of mustache and that deep a voice) that would be perfect and exhaled a sigh of relief.

As I was waiting for them to make the drink, I heard my name being called. I look over and see one of my Grandparent's oldest friends sitting having coffee. This woman has known my Grandparents since my Dad was 16. So after giving and receiving a hug, she immediately asked how my folks and siblings were, then she inquired about "that adorable little boy and darling wife". I was not surprised that she didn't know about the divorce, my Grandparents come from a generation where you don't discuss the bad family business outside the family, so I replied that my Son was 'wonderful, growing like a weed and doing great in school, and I suppose his mother is OK...I don't really ask, or care, since the divorce is almost final." Without batting an eye she immediately comes back with "I'm so glad to hear he's doing well and I never liked that unsmiling bitch anyway so I'm happy you're divorcing her."

What could I say to that? I smiled, gave her a hug and promised to let my Gram know that I saw her. See, Old People are funny.

Enjoy your views this weekend everyone. I will definitely be enjoying my own...even if the Bears get stomped on Sunday.

Who links to me?