My New View: <b>This Day in History...</b>

Friday, January 05, 2007

This Day in History...

It was 9 years ago today that TB did the single redeeming act of her entire miserable existence...she gave birth to my Son.

I still remember every minute of the time that we were in the hospital while TB was trying to deliver...all 36 hours of it.

They gave TB pitocin to ease the pains of labor...unfortunately this also made labor slow down. Finally they decided to do a c-section. As I was led into the room, the nurse said "Whatever you do, don't look behind that curtain. Just sit next to your wife and hold her hand."

I've never been good at following instructions.

I looked around the curtain just in time to see them put a double handful of TB's intestines on her belly. Up to that point I didn't know that the intestines of a live person resemble a weird cross between over-cooked pasta and lumpy oatmeal. That learning experience caused me to avoid pasta for months and completely give up oatmeal.

After another 20 minutes or so, the Dr announced..."Congratulations, you have a boy" as she handed him to the neo-natal team that was waiting in the room. They needed to do all the tests on him, get his measurements, etc...and then they would hand him to us.

Time passed and I still hadn't heard my Son cry. I couldn't see him because there was a nurse in the way. Just as I started to get nervous, the nurse moved and I could see my Son for the first time. He was laying on his back with his ankles crossed and his hands behind his head...sound asleep. The neo-natal Dr. reached down and put a hand on each of his sides to startle my Son and get him to cry, but it didn't have the desired effect...instead my Son cracked open his little eyes, reached down and grabbed the Dr's thumbs and pulled the invading hands away from his body. The Dr's reply was something along the lines of "My, you're a strong one."

They then wrapped him up in a blankie and handed him to me. From that moment until after his first bath I did not let go of him. No-one (not even TB) got to hold him, or even touch him, until after I gave him his first bath. From that first instant he was Mine.

This weekend is on an off week, so I don't get to spend tonight or the weekend with him, so we celebrated last night. My Son termed it his "Birthday Eve".

I miss him more today than normal.

Happy 9th Birthday, Little Man!!! I love you.

Who links to me?