For An Instant...
For an instant, he stood before me...a man that inspires others to follow his lead without question...not model pretty, but handsome enough to insure that he never wanted for a date. His eye color, hair and dark tan all betray his mother's Italian ancestry...his wide shoulders, broad chest and narrow waist show his dedication to the gym and he moved with the grace only martial artists and dancers know. All of this burned itself into my retinas in that instant before he spoke...when he did, his words didn't fit the image before me......"Daddy, we need to walk Katye to her car...it's the right thing to do." I blinked and suddenly my Son stood before me again...looking up at me with an expression that said 'why are you still standing there??'.It turns out that Katye is his camp counselor...and the current love of his life. She is 18...tall, blond and tan...going into her second year at university and she adores him because he is (in her words) her 'knight in shining armor'. For the second time in moments I stood speechless, thinking 'What is it with this kid and blondes??'...until I was again jolted out of my reverie by my Son saying "Ready, Daddy?"
While I don't think I'll ever really be ready for what I had just seen and heard...I smiled and walked a pace behind them as my Son escorted his 'Lady' to her car and gave her a hug goodbye. Without another word between us, my Son and I got into my car and drove home.
In his entire, although admittedly short, life...I don't think my Son has ever made me more proud of him than he did in that instant, when he showed me that he has been paying attention not only to what I tell him about the proper way to treat a lady, but to the little things that I do in the presence of one (even his mother).
My smile hasn't faded from my face since...and I don't think it's going to for a while. Enjoy your view today...I'm definitely enjoying mine.


