My New View: <b>A New Image</b>

Friday, April 28, 2006

A New Image

I woke this morning with an image fading slowly from memory...I'm not sure if it was a glimpse into a possible future or the fevered ramblings of a warped mind...either way, it's something I will forever cherish and something I want to share today.

In this image, I see an older version of myself dressed in a tuxedo - smiling proudly beside a beautiful Bride...but it's not my wedding photo...nor is it that of any of my children. One can ask how I can be so positive, but I know beyond any doubt that I am there not as Father-of-the-Bride, but as the adored 'Uncle' of the Bride...the one that never misses a birthday or Christmas... the one that is often heard from but due to distance, rarely seen. You see, the Bride's face is the adult version of the most gorgeous, precocious, adorable, vociferous 4 year old I know.

The feelings that wash over me as I view this image fill me with sadness and happiness all at the same time...both in equal parts, one not being overshadowed by the other. I am proud to be a part of this celebration, to be the adored 'Uncle'...overjoyed by simply being there...but equally saddened at the same time by seeing the precious little girl I know as a grown woman and by the memories, no - more than that...I'm saddened by the ghosts of what might have been.

I will cherish this image, hold it as close to my heart as those that came before it and those that will come after it...but until it comes to pass, if it comes to pass, I'll just take things a day at a time...slowly walk the road that I now travel...enjoying the view.

Who links to me?